Wednesday, 26 October 2016

Top Five Wednesday - Spooky Settings

Top Five Wednesday is a Goodreads group hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes

So this week's Top 5 Wednesday topic got me excited, because spooky/creepy/disturbing settings are my thing. I love them. So much. Give me a haunted house or a village that doesn't feel quite right and I will jump all over that shit. So coming up with 5 of my favourite spooky settings was no problem. Let's get our creep on.

The Fairytale Realm in The Book of Lost Things

I couldn't get enough of the creepy and twisted version of a fantasy fairyland in this book. Not only were there characters that were downright disturbing, but the descriptions and settings of the different castles, villages and homes in this book all came together to create a wonderfully spooky world. You can read my review of this book here.

The Boarding School in Never Let Me Go

At first the place just seems like a regular old boarding school. The kids play football and get crushes on each other and fight over pencil cases. But then you start to realise that something's off. Where are their parents? Why do they never leave? Why do the adults act so strangely? And then slowly different pieces come together and when you find out the purpose of the place you truly understand just how disturbing the whole situation is.

Haggard's Castle in The Last Unicorn

The castle's empty halls, miserable few occupants, old dusty furniture and talking skulls make this place a fairly spooky homestead. Never mind the Red Bull that lives in the bowels of the dungeon and is determined to exterminate the unicorns (because what more evil villain is there than one who hates something so pure and good).

Everywhere in The Lie Tree

Just the whole island. It's all creepy. Their old, big house that's on an island with sheer cliffs and beaches that lead down to choppy sea waters that obscure hidden caves? Classically creepy. Add in a murder, conspiracy, a man who photograph's dead people, and a tree that feeds and grows off of lies and you have something very spooky indeed.

The Wood in Uprooted

Woods are another classically creepy setting. Woods are creepy even when they aren't corrupting, dark magic-wielding, man eating woods where the trees come alive and try to kill you. But the woods in this book are a brilliantly spooky setting, and the whole book itself is absolutely great.

Do you like spooky settings in books? What are some of your favourites? Do let me know!

4 comments:

  1. All these settings sound great, but I like twisted fairylands so that's a plus. and boarding schools- on the creepy side? Yes please. I'll have to take a closer look at that. And I love islands and sea caves and all that, so again I'm going to have to look into The Lie Tree. I'm reading Fear The Drowning Deep at the moment and that's set on the Isle of Man, so I'm getting my island vibe on lol. I love the atmospheric nature of it.

    Thanks for sharing these, I may be adding two or three. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really recommend The Lie Tree, it's one of my favourite reads from this year. I looked up Fear the Drowning Deep and added it to my to-read list because it sounds GREAT. The sea is one of the only things that actually really scares me IRL so I'm so up for creepy sea books.

      Delete
    2. The Book of Lost Things and The Lie Tree are some titles I've been keeping an eye on for a while now. After reading your blurbs about them, I'm even more interested, haha. I'll have to either pick them up soon, or toss them onto my XMas list. Uprooted is a book I've had a for a few months, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to reading yet. Putting that on the Turkey TBR for November. Thanks for sharing these, Al!! Love your posts. Happy reading. ♥

      Delete
    3. The Lie Tree was one of my favourite reads this year, and Frances Hardinge is a fav author so I'll recommend that highly. Uprooted surprised me a lot, I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did! Thanks hun you too! <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...