Thursday, 3 November 2016

Beautiful Books 2016 - NaNoWriMo WIP Update

Beautiful Books is a link-up by Cait at Paper Fury and Sky at Further Up Further In

Instead of actually writing my NaNo novel, guess what I'm doing? Was your guess "Procrastinating by talking about your novel instead of actually writing it"? You win! I give you air from my lungs.

1) Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?


Ha... ha. No but really, I'm feeling okay. I scrapped what I did on day one and started with something fresh that's been easier going on day two. I'm feeling a little more enthusiastic about the one I'm on now. I'm only 3536 words in, although I have yet to write today, so we'll see where that goes.

2) What's your first sentence (or paragraph)?


3) Who's your favourite current character in your novel?


So far the only characters I've introduced to the page are the MC, her family, two moving van men and her boyfriend. So I suppose my MC is my favourite so far. But my favourite character is one I haven't even written yet, she's an asexual side character that's part of the MC's future friend group. In my head she's sassy as hell. I can't wait to get to her.

4) What do you love about your novel so far?


The idea of it, really. There's nothing else to love yet.

5) Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?


No, but I think this quick exchange is probably my favourite part that the spell check says isn't English.


6) What is your favourite part to write; beginning, middle or end?


I'd like to say end just because that would mean I'd be finished. But truthfully I've never even gotten into the middle of a novel before, so realistically I don't know how anything but writing the beginning feels.

7) What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!


I sit in my bed, with bourbon cream biscuits, ice tea, diet coke or normal hot tea, listen to a specific writing playlist I have on Spotify, write at all hours of the night, and I'm not taking a picture of my bed because my room is a tip and I don't need to feel judged for my poor cleanliness.

8) How private are you about your novel while you’re writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?


There are few people I'll tell all about my novel and what I'm writing. I'll talk in a general way about it with anybody or on Twitter, and I'll share my aesthetics no problem, but as far as in-depth conversation goes, only a few people get to hear that.

9) What keeps you writing when it's hard?


The fact that if I don't actually write it down, it'll never exist. That I have to write for this story to ever actually be anything more than a daydream. It doesn't matter about anything else - but this is something that has to exist, and for that to happen I just have to do it.


Also sometimes I worry that if I don't Just Do It Shia will turn up in my room while I'm sleeping or something.

10) What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?



6 comments:

  1. The last "Do It" gif made me laugh so hard. XD Also that exchange is hilarious. I've had my fair share of the red squiggles plaguing words THAT ARE IN FACT LEGIT, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Add to Dictionary" has become my new favourite function!

      Delete
  2. "Just do it," my favorite piece of writing advice! I'm glad to see at least SOME people still love their WIP's five days into NaNo. This is where the rubber meets the road! But seriously, spell check freaks out when you start writing in another language. Latin, Spanish, or, heaven forbid, Japanese hiragana. The horror!

    Elisabeth @ Inkspelled Faery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine trying to write in another language. I remember doing schoolwork typed up in Irish and it was like a wavy sea of words and red highlights.

      Delete
  3. Haha I love that Doctor Who reference and the Just Do It gifs. They're hilarious. XD Best wishes for writing your novel! You can get to that middle and to the end!

    Also I checked out your About Me page and saw you're Irish. I think that's so cool! I'm doing this blog series where I interview people from around the world to debunk stereotypes, spread international diversity, and give writers a crash course on how to write a character from different countries. I've had people from England, Australia, and New Zealand participate. And I'd love to have you. What do you think?

    Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

    I participated in BB too! http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2016/11/beautiful-books-2016-novel-update.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to participate omg! I don't know whether I'd be the most qualified, though. But if you want to tell me more about it all you can DM me on Twitter https://twitter.com/mouthfulofink

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...